domingo, 18 de septiembre de 2016

ADVANCED TEST 4

1.- Complete the sentences with a relative pronoun. Omit them when they are not necessary.

a) Michael, ___ will be 20 years old next week, is very good at playing football.

b) My uncle's house, ___ was rebuilt only five years ago, is for sale now.

c) The programme ___ we watched on TV last night was very interesting.

d) A man ___ children go to the same school as ours has bought our house.

e) The town ___ I was born is full of tourists in the summer.

f) The boys ___ we played football with, were older than us.


2.- Complete the second sentence so that it retains the same meaning as the first sentence.

a) I was allowed in the Disco because I'm over 18 years old.
    ___ 18 years old, I was allowed in the Disco.

b) I put on my coat because it was cold.
    It was cold, ___ my coat.

c) It's three weeks since I last saw her.
    I haven't ___ three weeks.

d) Although he was a famous actor, he didn't want to live in Hollywood.
     Despite ___, he didn't want to live in Hollywood.

e) I'm going to study hard because I want to get a grant.
    I'm going to study hard in ___ a grant.

f) The exam was so difficult that nobody passed.
    It was ___ exam that nobody passed.

g) I wasn't able to read the book in one day because it was very long.
    The book was too ___ in one day.


3.- Complete the second sentence so that it retains the same meaning as the first sentence. You must include the words in CAPITALS.

a) We didn't know they were coming so we didn't wait for them. HAD

b) "I don't want to go to the cinema tonight", Charles said. THAT

c) "What did you do last week", Mary asked me. THE WEEK BEFORE

d) My father said "Don't be late". TOLD

e) James asked us "Do you know what the weather will be like tomorrow?" IF

f) We haven't got much money. IF ONLY

g) I didn't study, so I failed the exam. Now I'm sorry. WISH


4.- Complete the sentences by putting a verb in the correct form in each gap.

a) After the old man retired, his daughter ___ over the company.

b) Do you think this sweater will ___ with dark trousers?

c) How do you ___ on with your in-laws? Do you like them Do they like you?

d) I don't think I can ___ up with his behaviour any longer. He's unbearable!

e) She'll have to ___ over the fact that her husband has left her.

f) The bomb ___ off at eight o'clock yesterday morning.

g) Their car ___ down in the middle of nowhere and they couldn't find a garage.

h) We're going to have to ___ on using the same car for a few years. We can't afford a replacement.

i) Well, if you don't like it, you can always ___ it back to the shop.

j) While I was doing the shopping, I ___ across an old friend from school.


5.- Fill each gap with one of these words.

after, down, of, out, up, away, into, on (x3), over.

a) He really takes ___ his uncle. They have the same hair and the same character.

b) Hold ___ a minute! I'll be right back.

c) It is certainly a good offer, but I'll have to think it ___ for a few days.

d) It was raining so hard that the concert was called ___.

e) My cousin can never understand films. I have to keep explaining to her what is going ___.

f) She is trying to cut ___ ___ the number of cigarettes she smokes each day.

g) The police are looking ___ the case at the moment.

h) Two prisoners ran ___ during the festival.

i) We finally managed to put ___ the fire at three in the morning.

j) When you grow ___, you'll be able to drive your own car.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario